Monday, February 9, 2009

Trouble in Paradise

Just so you don’t think we are doing nothing but surfing, napping in hammocks and drinking margaritas, I thought I’d share a few of our frustrations. The street and sidewalk right outside the hotel are being worked on, and a couple of mornings the jackhammer has woken us up. In addition, we are being eaten alive by either mosquitoes, sand fleas or ants, or a combination of all three. Yesterday I counted 43 bites on my body.

The kids are suffering from homesickness. They miss their friends and having their own space, and the lack of space has led to a lot of bickering in the last few days. In fact, yesterday they tried to convince us that we should go home.


It does feel like such a waste to be grumpy in such a beautiful place. Thankfully, we met a girl and her mother and the kids have been playing together. They are from Mexico City, and have agreed to take Peace Bear home with them as they have some friends traveling soon.

Rafael has been swimming up a storm in the pool with a couple of noodles and goes into the deep end and back very confidently.

Isa tried her hand a boogie boarding but is not interested in surfing. (Neither am I, by the way. I prefer to be in the water, not on it!) I saw some rays the other day during my swim.

We’ve also taken advantage of this quiet time to play games and read together. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah, life looks real rough there in the hammock! Seriously, I hope the bugs don't eat you too much - but here it is too cold for bugs as it snowed again last night!
    These pictures are beautiful and it is nice to hear that during your amazing trip life goes on and kids still bicker (they are human after all!)
    Enjoy your last days at the beach!

    ReplyDelete